About coconut-- Quick dessert fix! 20 minutes and your guests would be delighted!
Golden Coconut Balls
- 1.5 Cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix the ingredient together, roll them into ball shape and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 10-15 minutes, until the balls are crispy and golden.
Æbleskiver with apple butter
Why are so many American people overweight? They put tons of sugar and butter in ANY dessert! One bite, your heart rate would soar!
I made my apple butter without any sugar, and they are still apple-y sweet!
- 3lb apples, diced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons of mince ginger
bring those ingredients to a simmer and reduce to "apple butter" consistency. :)
Using my apple butter, I made some Æbleskivers. Yum! They are so cute and delicious! Oops! I just bit into a perfect spherical Æbleskiver--it's not picture-perfect now. :(
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 2/2 Tbs granulated sugar
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3 egg yolks,lightly whipped
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
- 7 Tbs unsalted butter melted
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
- In bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt and zest. In small bowl, whisk egg yolks and buttermilk. Whisk into flour mixture; batter will be lumpy. Gently stir egg whites into batter in 2 additions
- Put 1/2 tsp butter in each well of Æbleskiver pan. Heat over medium heat, Pour 1 Tbs batter into each well. PUt 1/2 tsp filling into center of each pancake; top with 1 Tbs batter. Cook until bottoms are golden and crispy, 3-5 minutes.
- Using 2 skewers, flip pancakes over, cook until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining batter. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Makes about 40
- lemon-mascarpone filled Æbleskiver
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4cup meyer lemon curd
Using electric mixer fitted with flat beater, beat mascarpone and lemon curd until fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Cover filling, refrigerate
2. Maple-pecan Æbleskiver
- 5 Tbs maple butter
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted and chopped
- pinch of salt
In small bowl, stir together maple butter, pecans and pinch of salt.
Variation: Spiced Apple Butter
Add 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground cloves and allspice with the sugar.
Extra! Tips from Epicurious:
• This recipe uses a mix of two varieties of apples for greater flavor.
• "This sweet spread does not need to be processed as long as a relish or pickle recipe," says Topp.